Saturday, August 29, 2009

Meet Bruiser, My New Roommate

Bruiser is no longer a virgin. I got his first shot off at 11:00 a.m. today. He kicked the crap outta me too, causing bruising and a wrenched back - but I asked for it!

Bruiser is my new 12ga pump action 500 Persuador shotgun (remember, I told you I was going to get one after that weirdo leftie sent me that creepy letter). I've had Bruiser for over a month now, but didn't want to mention it until I knew how to handle him safely.

I made several phone calls to rifle clubs and gun dealers, and found that there are plenty of safety/shooting classes available for handguns and rifles but none for shotguns specifically. I called the Pierce County Sheriff's office and a desk sergeant referred me to Sumner Sportsman's Association in Alderton, which is a shotgun-only club.

I googled SSA's website and there on the front page was an announcement for a Ladies Only Shotgun Clinic to be held in late August, an event they hold just once a year. What perfect timing and location! And affordable too at just $40 for the day, which included breakfast, lunch, ammo and clay disk targets. Knowing that my friend Senator Randi Becker is an outdoorswoman, I called her right away to see if she wanted to join me for the clinic. Randi wanted a shotgun refresher for her own 12ga pump, and I had the virgin Bruiser, so it worked out really well that we register to go together.

Now mind you, I was just as much a "gun virgin" as Bruiser. I haven't fired a gun of any kind in more than 25 years. I didn't remember what a recoil kick felt like. In anticipation of the upcoming clinic, I did some research on the net and discovered through a chatroom I accidentally fell into, that my model shotgun was known for it's hard kickback. I started to get a little nervous about actually firing Bruiser and promptly stashed him out of my site (pun intended) and didn't look at him again until this morning, three weeks later.

I've never been fond of the way Bruiser looks. He's pure black, no decoration whatsoever, and looks like a machine gun to me. But he makes that AWESOME and undeniably frightening click-CACHUNK action sound loud and clear which is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a home-security gun and that's what I got.

And so, I was surprised when Randi and I entered the clubhouse and all the guns in the racks, including Randi's, seemed not only smaller than mine, but had beautiful wood stocks - some with silver inlay. I didn't know there was a difference between home-security shotguns and hunting or trap shooting guns. The instructors looked at Bruiser and told me that he wouldn't do very well on the trap shoot. Bruiser was made for home protection - a bigger barrell, wider shot pattern, lots of big bang. They offered me a different gun to use on the traps but I was there to shoot Bruiser.

The first time I pulled his trigger it was, to say the least, a surprise. I didn't have the butt pulled in to my shoulder real tight (I know, novice error) and that SOB kicked me in the shoulder like a Clydesdale.

"OUCH!" I think my yelling was louder than the shotgun. It did hurt, but I think I was more startled than anything. I tried one of the instructor's break-open guns, but when I went to pull the trigger it didn't move. After the instructor looked at the gun, I tried again. Same thing. She had given me a broken gun! I tried a second break-open, decided it probably didn't kick any less than Bruiser, (actually it was a lot less) and opted to go back to my own gun. For some reason I didn't like shooting the break-open gun, even though I think they look cool.

Twice with Bruiser I made the mistake of tensing or twisting and momentarily wrenched my back and ribs. It seemed like the kickbacks were becoming more powerful with each shot. We had completed 20 rounds and I was getting tired - and sore! But I persevered with Bruiser, and actually hit two moving clay targets! It was very empowering, especially since I had the "wrong" gun for the class and I don't have real good depth perception.

Randi blasted her very first target. She had a few more hits, but we rookies & rusties were overshadowed by several women there that are professional trap shooters. It was incredible watching them, and very inspiring. Then there was little twelve year old Alexis, who started out with a smaller guage gun. She wasn't hitting the targets at first. During the afternoon session, the instructors gave Alexis a bigger gun (maybe a 16ga? not sure) and that girl hit nearly EVERY SINGLE TARGET except maybe three. At 12 years old, she's ready for a 12ga.!

At the end of the day, I came away with a small bruise below my shoulder and some muscles are beginning to stiffen up, but I saw worse battlescars on some of the other women with the slightly milder guns. I'm proud of myself for sticking with Bruiser, big, bad,ugly and loud as he is. We are well acquainted now, and I'm not afraid of him anymore. He's ready to do his job, but I'm the boss.

* * * * * * * * * *
Thanks so much to instructors Deby and Sunny from the SSA, Randi Becker for attending with me, and all the other participants of the clinic. It was an interesting day indeed.
* * * * * * * * * *
Everyone please remember to take a moment on Friday, September 11th, to honor the victims and rescue workers of the terrorist attacks in 2001. We Must NEVER Forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment