Saturday, May 9, 2009

Thank you mom

Yesterday I went "big shopping" and had a cartful of stuff. As usual, the Graham Safeway was packed (it doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is, that store is always crammed). The check-out stands were at least four people deep. I was lucky enough to sneak into one just as someone was finishing up.

I saw that in line behind me was a lovely lady about my mother's age, with just a carry-basket of stuff. I told her she could go ahead of me in line. At first, she declined, but after I insisted she smiled and said, "Thank you, sweetie, and happy mother's day!"

I don't have any human children. My kids all have four legs and fur coats. And although they can't speak English and never grow up and move out, I consider them my kids anyway. Hey, at least I don't have to pay for college!

But when that lady told me "happy mother's day", I wasn't insulted or irritated that she assumed I was a mom. Instead, I started thinking about my own mother, and what she went through with five kids under the age of 9 while holding down a highly stressfull full-time job. I remember watching out the window in the dark of winter, looking for her car headlights coming down our long and secluded driveway. When Mom finally got home, it was around 6:00 and she still had to make dinner for us. I don't know how she did it.

So here's to your mom, and every other mom I know!

And for my mom,
Thank you, Jane, for everything. I love you very, very much.

Dear God, please bless our moms, America, and all Americans.

Wendy

1 comment: